Summer is almost officially here! I love summer and I know many of you do too. Not only does it bring fun in the sun, but it is also a very popular travel time. Perhaps many of you are planning a vacation this summer or are already on your way somewhere.
Health is likely the last thing on your mind as you travel. The anticipation of getting to your destination tops it all. While health doesn’t have to top your list, there are a few key things to keep in mind so that you are smiling on your trip and not praying to the porcelain god instead.
Here are my top 5 healthy travel tips as you make your way to paradise!
- Stay hydrated throughout your trip, but purchase bottled water if you go to a locale where the safety of the water is questionable. Seriously, if you have any doubts, do NOT drink the tap water. Traveler’s diarrhea is a common side effect of drinking contaminated water, which I don’t think anyone desires.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables before your trip. Of course, I will always recommend eating fruits and vegetables. They help build up your immune system. But, if you have a trip approaching, it wouldn’t hurt to boost up your intake of fruits and vegetables even more. Your body will thank you! And yes, the real deal is better than any pill.
- Know your destination’s cuisine. This is a big one. On my most recent trip to Playa del Carmen, I had a really bad experience with some meat during one of my night meals so the rest of the trip I decided to be vegetarian. It saved me immensely and I did not have another odd experience. If I go back, I will be vegetarian the whole trip. On the flip side, there may be other places where the meat looks tastier than the less-than-fresh veggies. Follow what your gut (or your guide) says!
- Wash your hands. While you are at the airport, wash your hands before your meal. Airports, cruise ships, and the like are full of people 24/7. This means you are exposed to plenty of germs on your travel day. I don’t particularly like antibacterial hand gel because it gets rid of plenty of good bacteria in addition to bad bacteria, but if it is what you prefer then use it. Just keep those hands clean before putting food into your mouth!
- Bring soothing tunes. Don’t forget your music! For some, traveling is stressful. For others, it is fun. Regardless though, it can bring nuances at times (hello long lines or traffic on the way!). Find ways to relax through soothing tunes or reading a book. Stress only makes things worse!
What is one healthy travel tip you would add to the list? Save travels!